Helping bereaved children
While experiencing the death of a parent is devastating, with timely and appropriate help, children and young people can live with and through their loss. The intention behind Plan If is to minimise the disruption and uncertainty they face.
Children and young people tell us that some of the other things that can help are:
- having the death acknowledged (e.g. ‘I was so sorry to hear about your mum/dad’)
- having sufficient, age-appropriate information about what has happened and what will happen
- being encouraged to express their feelings and thoughts about the death
- being able to talk within the family openly and honestly
- remembering the person who has died and sharing stories about them
- participating in ‘rituals’ – ways to say goodbye and still keep a close bond.
More information can be found here.